23 October 2009

Battle Simulator (v. 0.2.0)

Version 0.2.0
Well, I think I have successfully created a battle calculator which mimics Advance Wars' engine very nicely.
I got the damage calculator code and the initial damage chart from Mr. Samuel Wilder on GameFAQs...cheers.

Screen (sim vs. original):


The game is behaving correctly...
Famicom Wars and Advance Wars have different values for unit attack and defense. Advance Wars also gives the attacking unit an advantage of extra defense; on the GBA, blue would have 7, as my engine calculated, but red would have 9 units.
So consider the current system a hybrid of the two: the Advance Wars' initial damage with the Famicom Wars' no-advantage combat. (It'll probably get changed)

Now, as I move into animation, and then integration of the calculator into main game, we can deal with balance issues. If some unit is essentially unstoppable, I'm open to discussion about altering some of the units offensive and defensive power. I also think that the attacking unit should have an additional edge in combat, but I want to hear your feedback before I change anything.

1 comment:

  1. In all fairness, the Advance Wars system seems better. It's usually nonsensical that two armies shoot at each other at the exact same time.

    ReplyDelete